Monday, August 2, 2010

Week 3 Reflections

I have been using Facebook for almost three years, so using it this week was not a new experience. This was, however, the first time that I explored possible educational uses of Facebook. I was surprised to find applications on Facebook that are useful for something other than killing time. I was most impressed with the Webinaria Screencast application. I could definitely see myself using this application to upload a screencast my lectures with my SmartBoard. A majority of my students already use Facebook. It might be a good idea to take advantage of this to provide my students with something other than a gossip network on Facebook.

I also learned that teachers and Facebook privacy seem to be a bit of a hot-button issue. The issue of free speech on Facebook inflamed the first-amendment passions of my classmates. I do agree that we should be able to express our opinions, even if they are not complimentary to our employers or the educational system in general. However, I approached this situation as a legal question. Teachers are public servants, whether we like to admit it or not. A different set of rules applies public servants when it comes to free speech. The Supreme Court has upheld the right of governments to fire employees who say things that damage the organization or its mission. At this point it does not matter how passionate I feel about my right to say whatever I want. I must be aware that what I say or do online will have an effect on public perception of my school and myself, and the possible damage to my credibility could have a effect on my ability to effectively serve my students and parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment